Friday, September 15, 2006

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut

First and foremost, the title has absolutely nothing (and I repeat nothing) to do with this post. I just noticed that I had it written in an old notebook and thought it deserved to be posted somewhere.

Second, I've spent very little time on sketching out this idea for myself before this point but since I'm up after two in the morning I might as well try it now... So here goes...

I realized/noticed after going out to bars and such for the past few years that people don't order a lot of the really classic cocktails...

I'm not sure why, perhaps the trendiness of the Cosmos has muddled our poor little brains and made people forget about the old drinks. So I've made a habit (or at least tried to make a habit) of ordering at least one "classic" cocktail every couple of months just to see if I like it and to see the crazy looks I get from bartenders, waiters/waitresses, and those around me.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a gin gimlet (this summer's favorite) at Finnegan's Wake. First, the bartender gave me the "are you my 85 year old grandmother" looks and then I was asked by one of my friends if I was "chasing my Metamucil with that." I can't say that I entirely enjoy being razzed about my choice but it's a tasty drink so why should I care what they say?

Anyway, I've found a list of drinks I think that I should have at least tried at some point in my life... hopefully I can remember to keep track of which ones I have yet to try and eventually cross them off the list.

For my own amusement and perhaps that of others, I've included my own little descriptions of the drinks based either on my experiences with it or the recipe provided or some combination of the two.


Classic Cocktails as per www.knowyourcocktails.com

Black Russian- That sounds tolerable enough.

Bloody Mary- This is at the END of my non-alphabetical list.

Blue Blazer- What a novel idea to set my drink afire.

Caipirinha- It sounds a little sweet but it could be good.

Cuba Libre- Oh dear, rum!

Daiquiri (original)- And more rum!

Dry Martini- They are okay.

Gimlet- These are my favorite Metamucil chaser...

Gin & It- This sounds very workable.

Gin Fizz- I may have inadvertently had this already.

Harvey Wallbanger- I had one. Tasty. It was during my "Night of 5
Old Men" with the Mafia.

Kir- I suppose it's worth a try. What's Creme de Cassis?

Long Island Ice Tea- Yea, no... no more of these, for anyone.

Mai Tai- "I asked for a Mai Tai and they brought me a Pina Colada."

Manhattan (sweet)- I tried this and I don't like these.

Margarita- Despite not like Tequila, these aren't bad.

Mint Julep- I really wanted to like these because I used to help my grandfather make them for the Kentucky Derby each year but alas, I do not care for Mint Juleps.

Negroni- This sounds pretty good but I am not so sure I like the flavor of vermouth... I tend to not like things that have it as an ingredient.

Old-Fashioned- Yucko! I had one when I went out with Lil K & Erica one night and while I finished it, I vowed to never order it again.

Pimm's No 1- Why do more people not know this drink? It's tasty and smooth. My Aunt Laura introduced me & my mom to it.

Pink Gin- I'm pretty certain that the bitters were why I didn't care for the Old-Fashioned so I'm pretty sure this one will not be a winner.

Rusty Nail- I'm fairly certain I've had one of these but I don't recall when or if I liked it. I guess I should bring a little notebook out with me to track these things.

Sidecar- I think I might like a Sidecar but I've been wrong many many times before.

Singapore Sling- I would order this one just to say that name. It has bitters in it so I might have a problem with it... but ooo that name just sounds like fun to say.

Silver Bronx- Egg white in my drink? Can we spell sick-to-my-stomach because I'm pretty sure I will be if I drink this.

Tom Collins- Another old chap who joined me on the "Night of 5 Old Men" and I think I liked him too maybe even more than Harvey. (Shhh don't tell Harvey; he'll be jealous.)

White Lady- Again with the egg white? I see it said ‘optional’ . . . my option would be to leave it out.

White Russian- Okay, I know Christine really likes these but for me, there seems to be something inherently wrong with mixing dairy products and liquor. I just feel like it won't end well.


Rereading this list I've noticed that a lot of drinks that I would have considered "classic" seem to be missing . . . perhaps I should investigate this whole idea further at another time . . . for now, bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


I guess you are in that count now too.