Monday, August 21, 2006

It doesn't have a title.

Summer's nearly over and a full fall schedule of law related classes awaits me. And even better it starts in just two days! And while I've read about my first day assignments, I've completed very little of them.

Additionally*, I need to change my schedule since I am currently enrolled in three classes which total 12 credits which pushes me to full-time student status. Which would be absolutely fine if not for the ABA's rule that you can't work more than 15 hours a week and for the Rutgers Law School rule that states "Part-time students must enroll in at least eight course credits each semester, but may not enroll in more than eleven course credits."

Okay, here's the thing. I fully admit that I made a mistake by enrolling in 12 credits but to be quite honest, I want those classes. I got bumped out of Evidence back in the end of July (or rather I realized that I had been bumped from it then) and got back in through total chance and my obsessive email checking. That makes it incredibly hard to give up that class.

But here's the other part of my problem... the other two classes I picked are Constitutional Law and Criminal Law. I'd explain the problem with dropping one of those classes but I think Rutgers explains it better. (See below.)

Rule 6.2: Required Courses for Part-Time Students.

Part-time students shall take:

(a) Civil Procedure, Torts, and Legal Research and Writing in their first semester of enrollment:


(b) Contracts, Property and Moot Court in their second semester of enrollment;

(c) Constitutional Law and (effective in the Fall, 2004 semester) Criminal Law in their third semester of enrollment;

(d) Criminal Law in their fourth semester of enrollment (effective through the Spring, 2003 semester);;

(e) Professional Responsibility in their third or later semester of enrollment.

Passing grades in the courses listed in (a) through (e) shall be required for graduation.


So now I'm in a lurch... do I drop the Evidence class or do I take a chance and drop one of the other classes?

I took Professional Responsibility this summer even though the rule says to take it later, as did many of my classmates. Should I take another chance and drop the Constitutional Law class? I'd really prefer to drop that class because (a) it doesn't sound all that promising, (b) the Constitution seems to be ignored quite frequently these days, (c) I just don't feel like taking it right now since I'm pretty sure it will be offered in the spring too.

What class would I be taking instead? My choices are as follows, in order of preference: (1) Law & Biomedical Ethics (I have no idea why classes like this always sound so fascinating to me but they do), (2) Elder Law, (3) Family Law.

All three leave me with a schedule which could be classified as substantially similar to the one I have now but both Elder Law and Family Law offer writing credits. I need to complete something like 10 writing credits before I can graduate and while Law & Biomedical Ethics sounds fascinating (albeit utterly useless to me) it doesn't offer those credits that I need to collect.

So now I must decide. And hope that through some twist of fate I will end up in the right place at the right time to end up where I'm supposed to be.

Any advice that leads me to that path is welcomed.

*Do other people really use that word with the frequency that I do? Because I use it all of the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


I guess you are in that count now too.